A successful historical fiction writer needs to have done painstaking research before submitting their book. Everything, even the smallest of details such as food, hygiene, customs, songs, jokes, language etc must be either known or surmised from the latest available knowledge of the period. The more modern the timeframe, the better documented the information but the more critical the audience.
Some popular and successful historical fiction writers include:
- Centennial by James A Michener
- London or Sarum by Edward Rutherfurd
- I, Claudius by Robert Graves
- The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley
- The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
- The Three Musketeers by Alexander Dumas
- Rob Roy by Sir Walter Scott
- Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
- Trinity or Exodus by Leon Uris
- Wild Swans by Jung Chang
If you think you could follow in any of these footsteps, we’d love to hear from you. Help us stock this section with quality reads for our customers.