Get a detailed and objective analysis of your book from a genre specialist
Genuine and detailed reviews which are there to help both you and your readers
Getting book reviews is essential yet reviewers don’t want to read your book unless you’re already famous. Have you been caught by that one?
Then, of course, there are the shill and sock-puppet reviews which dog the major book sites. You can usually tell one of these because they either consist of ‘this book is even better than sliced bread’ type statements or they’re 100 words of pure waffle which say absolutely nothing that indicates that the reviewer has read the book (which they won’t have done, of course).
People have got wise to this now and, even though such reviews still proliferate, they’re widely disregarded.
What readers want is an honest and complete assessment of a book and that’s what we provide. Yes, it’ll be ‘warts and all’ but that makes the reviews all the more realistic. No book can appeal to everyone and success will not come from selling as many books as possible, it’ll come from selling as many books as possible to the right people. It’s no good mis-selling books to buyers who will immediately return them, or, worse, feel misled and subsequently give you a bad review! If you use Amazon to distribute your books, the ratio of returns to sales can count against you if it gets high enough.
No trolling or puppetry – guaranteed!
We’re experienced authors and publishers and we’ll read your book with a commercial eye. With only an interest in assessing its potential and any snags, we’ll be totally frank and give you a detailed synopsis of our findings that will contain both an objective and a subjective section. This means you will know exactly where you stand.
This is not a ‘We liked it’ or ‘Great book – buy it now’ type arrangement. You will be getting a detailed review from someone who knows what they’re talking about, and who has read your book from e-cover to e-cover. To give you an idea of what you’ll be getting, a typical review is between 300 and 500 words in length and it will consist of two parts:
Assessment of structure, plot, potential for success given, target market (age group, gender, genre etc), value for money (if retail price has been set).
Reader’s general opinion, star quality, likes, dislikes, suggestions for improvement.
Once we’ve emailed it to you, we move to the next part of the service.
You’ll have the following options which are all included in the price. Once you’ve got the review, you can choose how you’d like to use it. This means:
- Free access to quote from our review (provided that the quoted text is unaltered and full credit is given to ourselves e.g. “A thrilling plot which had me on the edge of my seat from the outset. Any Subject Books”
- We’ll buy your book (max price $10) and upload our full review (please don’t ask us to ‘edit it while we’re at it’)
- Publish the review on our company website (this one) along with a photo of the cover and a link to where the book can be purchased. This will automatically appear as a post on our Facebook page, too.
Please note that our policy on reviewing is as follows.
- Give you as much detailed feedback as we can
- Be completely honest about the book’s potential
- State positive as well as negative aspects in order to give a balanced review
- Produce a detailed report and not just a few skimpy lines
- Base the overall assessment purely on the objective part of the review
- Pass your book to the most appropriate reviewer for the given genre/age-group
We will not:
- Produce sock-puppet reviews (i.e. write merely what the author would like to read about themselves – that’s something which is both dishonest and ultimately unhelpful)
- Take into consideration whether an author is being represented by us as publishers – i.e. the review will be 100% independent
- Include hyperbole or other hype which is blatantly untrue (‘the best book I’ve ever read’ etc)
- Deliberately and unfairly advantage or disadvantage a book for commercial or other reasons
- Rubbish a book because we ‘didn’t like it’
- Publish a review without your prior written approval
If any of that isn’t clear, please do contact us for clarification before submitting your book.
Please note that this service is for fiction only. We cannot undertake to provide the necessary technically competent readers to correctly assess the accuracy and relevancy of works of non-fiction.
To place your order just click on the button at the bottom of the price table below and that will take you to the order form where you can tell us about your book and upload its file. You’ll be able to select the appropriate word count for your book from the order form.
|Up to 10,000 words||$50|
|10,001 to 20,000 words||$80|
|20,001 to 30,000 words||$110|
|30,001 to 40,000 words||$140|
|40,001 to 50,000 words||$170|
|50,001 to 60,000 words||$200|
|60,001 to 70,000 words||$230|
|70,001 to 80,000 words||$260|
|80,001 to 90,000 words||$290|
|90,001 to 100,000 words||$320|
|Above 100,000 words||– Ask –|
E & OE
Book Review FAQ’s
What criteria do you assess books against?
Book reviews will address the following and be seen from the perspective of its target readership:
- How suited is the book for its stated genre and age group?
- How well are the characters developed?
- Does the setting come to life in the reader’s mind?
- Is the plot plausible, captivating and well-conceived?
- Are there any discontinuities, perspective errors, plot holes?
- What is the spelling, grammar and punctuation like?
- Does the book need further editing?
- How commercially viable is the book?
- Does it have ‘star quality’?
- Would you want to read another book by the same author?
In other words, an ASB review is a complete and detailed assessment of your book.
Can I influence the review?
No. We’ll read and review your book with no agenda bar to give you an honest assessment of it (in accordance with the above criteria).
Will I be able to use the review afterwards?
That’s the idea. We’ll endeavour to find positive things to say and not to dwell on negative aspects.
Do I have to use the whole review when quoting from it?
No, you can use as much or as little as you like save for deliberately mis-quoting. For example:
Part of our review:
“… The beautifully described romance which gradually develops between the two main protagonists may make the book less than perfect for purist crime fiction readers…”
Your quote (not acceptable):
“perfect for … crime fiction readers”, Any Subject Books
Your quote (acceptable):
“beautifully described romance” Any Subject Books
One is misleading, the other is honest (if somewhat abbreviated).
Do I have to accredit you?
Yes. A backlink is appreciated but not mandatory (it may not even be possible, of course). In any case, putting up a quotation without saying who said it is a bit pointless! We ask that you use ‘Any Subject Books’.
Is this a scam? Why do you charge so much?
Unlike many such reviewing services, we read the book through carefully and make notes about how it meets the ten criteria listed above. After we’ve done that, we put together a detailed review which we then send you. All this takes a very significant amount of time and that’s reflected in the price. It certainly isn’t ‘money for nothing’.
Don’t forget, we offer a no-quibble guarantee although invoking that means you forfeit the right to use our review.
I’ve read you shouldn’t pay to have your book reviewed by a publisher. Why are you charging?
If you submit your book to us in an author/publisher situation, we don’t charge. However, that means we will:
- Not be issuing a review (it would be highly inappropriate to write one if we’re then to act as publishers for your book!)
- Decide whether to publish the book or not based on our own criteria
- Insist that you accept a standard author contract which we’ll issue you with if we decide to publish you
- Split the book’s royalties with you under our standard contract (link to writers-wanted)
This is essentially how a traditional publisher works and we’re no different in that respect if you use this service.
Who will read the book?
It will be read by an experienced author with proven skills in both aspects of writing – creative content and technical ability. Our readers are paid a fixed fee for providing this service and have demonstrated to us that they have no agenda and that they can be impartial and objective at all times.
What’s the point of a review?
Apart from being able to quote from the review in order to demonstrate Third Party approbation, you are also receiving a guide to any snags which need your attention. A review is a powerful tool, but it needs using correctly. When we return your review to you, we’ll accompany it with a guide showing you how to get the best from it.
Do you have a ‘star’ system?
No, we’re not keen on those because people get too hooked up on them. It’s easy to just look and see how many stars something has been given and then not read the accompanying comments. It can also be difficult to decide how many. For example, which of the following books do you think should rank higher?
Book A: Excellent plot, but badly edited with a fair number of spelling and grammar mistakes which make it a bit difficult to follow at times.
Book B: Beautifully edited but contains a major plot hole which could be repaired if the author is prepared to work on it.
Book C: Fascinating story but confusingly keeps shifting perspective between characters to the extent that you don’t know who knows what.
Any relative ranking would be subjective. Our reviews are objective, and that’s why we don’t use a star system.
Will you feature my review on your website?
Only if you agree to it after you’ve read the review.
What if it’s a bad review?
It won’t be bad, but it might be ‘constructive’. If you feel it’s ‘too constructive’ to be used, don’t use it (but do take on board what we’re telling you).
Will you re-review it if I make the changes?
Delighted to. We charge 50% of the original fee for doing a re-review. Once we’ve done the re-review, the original must be deemed to not exist and cannot be used (not that you’d want to, presumably). Just ask us for order and payment info.
* Our no quibble guarantee *
Like we’ve made clear, we cannot undertake to provide a glowing review but we do promise to give a detailed one. In the event that we really feel unable to say anything positive about a book, we will put a halt on the reading and seek further clarification from the author who will be able to choose between us continuing or a full refund.