- Amazon (Kindle)
- Amazon (Createspace)
- … and others
You’ll also be asked to create Epub and PDF versions of our books to our specifications.
Some of the things that you’ll be asked to do will include:
- Working from supplied .odt or .doc documents
- Conversion of documents into ePub, mobi. and PDF formats
- Retention of a functioning indexing and contents system that will be accepted by the major distributors
- Indenting text, setting chapter headings and paragraph breaks in accordance with our house style document (a copy will be supplied to you)
- Adjusting JPG’s to fit the pages
- Incorporating a JPG cover image (supplied)
Not only that, it has to be error free. In other words, no:
- Uneven paragraph breaks
- Inconsistencies (font sizes and styles, bolding of headings, alignment etc)
- Contents pages that don’t work
- Images that don’t line up or which overflow
- Graphics that don’t appear in some viewers
- Files that can’t be processed by book distributors
If that’s got you nodding then we’d love to hear from you. It matters to us that our clients’ work gets fast-tracked to the top and that journey really begins with you. Before that, though, you need to apply; so what are you waiting for?!
FAQ’s for Book Formatters Wanted
Here are some specific FAQ’s for the Book Formatters Wanted Jobs section:
How long do I commit for?
You commit on a book by book basis.
What if I can’t or don’t want to format a particular book?
Just be honest at the outset and we’ll wish you well and find someone else (maybe you can recommend someone).
What do I get paid?
We prefer to pay on a specific book basis as it depends on a number of factors including word count (it’d be unfair to pay someone the same rate for formatting a 10-page short story as for a 500-page blockbuster). All you’re agreeing to by signing up is to receive offers of work and to comply with our conditions once we’ve settled on a deal with you. We are generous, but we expect perfection in return.
What are the sort of things I’ll be asked to do?
Well, we’ve already outlined much of this but here’s a short checklist of what you’ll be doing that includes:
- Creating a working table of contents
- Generating an NCX (Navigation Control file for XML applications)
- Meta-tagging and meta-descriptions
- Categorising and titling
- Integration of a cover image
- Working hypertext links to the author’s other books or to Facebook/Twitter/Blog
- Indented first lines of paragraphs (if you choose that option)
- Paragraph spacing
- Styled chapter headings
What happens after I apply?
We’ll assess your application, confirm whether or not you’ve been accepted onto our list of approved formatters or not and, if you have, get in touch when a suitable job arrives. At that point we’ll tell you what we’ll need from you, what the work entails and what our best offer of payment is. Then it’s for you to say ‘Yea’ or ‘Nay’.